Saturday, January 24, 2009

Donald Antrim's Another Manhattan

Reading Like A Writer
The Donald Antrim short story, Another Manhattan, which appeared in the New Yorker's winter fiction issue (December 22 and 29, 2008) was the most depressing story I've read in a long while. Then why did I feel so much better after reading it? What made the story so humane, so beautiful, so uplifting? Feel free to answer because I think this is why those of us who love literature love it. It's like coming out over and over again as a human being.

1 comment:

  1. Yippie for Frannyblog! I did not yet read that story but will look forward to doing so. My thoughts on your Q: We like to know we are not alone in our humanness, and that our emotional and psychic experiences are not as isolating as they seem. There is hope in the company and understanding of others.

    ReplyDelete